Sunday, August 14, 2016

Each job brings new experiences

A while ago I wrote about the new job I got and how I didn't feel comfortable working there. However, there are always a few things you can learn from a job that will help you in life. So, I decided to share this experience with you, now that I no longer work there.



Basically my job involved selling a particular products which name I won't mention because I don't want this post to be about a company, but rather my experience. Now, those products were extremely pricey, and when I say pricey, I mean like over a thousand euros. So, of course we had trouble selling them, but where's will there's a way. We basically had to learn a script (it wasn't actually a script, more like a worksheet with information on it) and then stick to it to sell a product. The script involved some phrases that no sane person would ever use, but it was supposed to help us sell these products.

Before I get carried away and start ranting about it, why don't we start with things I learned.

First that comes to mind is don't let people use your insecurities against you!

When we had a client we had to ask them what they wanted to change about themselves and when they told us, we had to agree and make them even more insecure about the whole thing. Later, this would help us convince them that what we are selling is the right choice for them to help them minimise the visibility of their insecurity.

Second thing that I learn is when someone is selling you something they don't actually care about what's going on in your life.

We had to start the whole thing by breaking the ice which meant making small talk with a client. Naturally, I got attached to every client's story and didn't want to force a product on them because I knew they had more important things to spend their money on. However, my boss didn't care. I guess, she's been in the business for a long time and it made her see the profit in people, not actually people. She would put on this face, like she feels sorry for them, like she pitied them while pushing them to their limits, so eventually they decided to purchase the products.

Third valuable lesson was that whenever someone isn't using words like costs, price etc. they are definitely trying to sell you something.

We had policy which forbade us from using any of those words. We had to use the word investment instead. So, for example, we would say: "The investment into solution of your problem is 1000€." It made my heart sink every time I had to tell the price. The look on people's faces was so full of honest shock that it made me want to quit on the spot. But I didn't because I knew that eventually they would fire me for not selling a thing, so in the meantime, I worked there to at least earn something during the holidays.


Fourth thing is: quit the job if it's not working for you!

I know, this was only a summer job, and I've been playing with the idea of quitting for a while, but it still made me nervous that I had to talk to my boss and tell them that it's not working out for me. However, she was nice and understanding. You see, I kept waiting for them to fire me because that's how ti worked. If you didn't sell you didn't work, but somehow they wouldn't fire me. When I finally quit my boss said that it was really nice having me around, and that it was really nice to meet me and if I'd like to maybe work with them in the future (not selling anything, but at an event they are organising). To sum up, having the brain and the courage to walk away before things got complicated was the best decision I've made. Firstly, because I could walk out on my own terms, feeling like it was me who ended thing and secondly, because it felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. On my way home I couldn't stop smiling like an idiot and even called a friends to share my joy with them.

Have you ever quit a job? If so, what was it and why?

See you next week, love!

No comments:

Post a Comment