Thursday, February 18, 2016

Ruling out colleges

I know it's Wednesday (or it was when I wrote this) and I usually post on Sundays, but as you may noticed I didn't post anything this weekend. I was in a bad mood, without an idea for a blog post and overall incapable to force myself to write something for you.

The fact I started watching Supernatural didn't help either, but we will talk about the series some other time, if that's fine with you.

Let's catch up on what's been going on, shall we?



This weekend was quite a handful to be honest. Each year in February there is a weekend where you are able to visit colleges and high schools to decide where you want to continue your studies. Every school in the country puts an extra effort into making their school stand out with representation, so they attract as many students as possible.

When I was choosing high school I didn't put much thought into it. I knew where I wanted to go, and choosing high school isn't that big deal after all. Of course some schools have more to offer than the others, in means of sport program and science projects, but the educational program is the same for each school.

Choosing college, however, is stressful and for me a very unpleasant experience so far.

I have already decided what I want to study, and I am probably going to stick to that decision, but I am interested in so many things it's driving me insane. I don't want to have a job in one field for the rest of my life, even thought that's probably going to happen, and I am afraid that I am going to be bored and miserable for the rest of my life, if I make the wrong decision now.

So instead of choosing the right college and career path, I decided I should rule out the ones I am not interest in.

Why would I need to do that if I already choose the college I want to go to?

Because I am influenced a lot by the series I am currently watching or a book I am reading, so I get carried away sometimes. For example, a few weeks ago I read a book where the main character was in love with a vet and I started idolising the job. A week later my dog got sick and I had to take him to the vet.

Guess what happened?

I remembered I have a fear of needles when the vet took a needle out of his drawer and I wasn't able to watch what the vet was doing, because I was feeling sick.

Because I know myself well enough, and I am sure I would convince myself I am able to do a job like that, once I got my hands on a similar book again, I decided to make a list of colleges I shouldn't consider going to.

You know, just in case, I get some great ideas that would turn out not to be that great at the end.

 How did you choose what you want to study? Or are you still figuring it out? And if so, how's that going?

No comments:

Post a Comment